Some customers manage Cumulus Linux switches through console and in-band switch ports. They do not manage the switches through eth0 and an out-of-band management network. These customers may choose to leverage USB in Cumulus Linux for:
- Installing Cumulus Linux via ONIE
- Adding a Cumulus Linux license
- Configuring the switch through zero touch provisioning
- Cumulus Linux, all versions
All instructions below assume a USB workflow and that the switch is already running a version of Cumulus Linux. For non-USB workflow, please consult the product documentation.
Installing Cumulus Linux via ONIE
To upgrade the switch to a new release via ONIE and USB, follow these steps:
Note: This upgrade is a clean install, after which the switch runs all default configurations, and any previous configuration is overwritten.
Adding a Cumulus Linux License
To install the Cumulus Linux license from USB, follow these steps:
- Prepare and mount the USB drive in Cumulus Linux. Follow the instructions in the section "Preparing a USB Drive inside Cumulus Linux" in the link above.
- Save the license file to the USB drive.
- Install the license file with the following command:
sudo cl-license -i /mnt/usb/license.txt
Configuring the Switch via Zero Touch Provisioning
To configure the switch via ZTP with the configuration file on USB, follow these steps: